[webkit-dev] optimizing browser handling of Facebook Timeline scrolling

Steven Young styoung.bills at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:25:45 PST 2012

>> will you be interested in creating a reduced test cases where WebKit is slow?

Ryosuke - For now, user complaints about slowness are too
unpredictable and poorly defined for me to create a simple test case.
I will report back here if we reach that point.

> (1) 50% of time spent in style calculation forced by accessing element.offsetHeight in JavaScript.

Geoff - I am going to bite the bullet and rip this logic out. We are
pushing too much complexity into the browser.

> (2) 50% of time spent painting images... This is a simple speed vs quality tradeoff. If you down-sampled the images on the server, they'd download and paint much faster.

Geoff - Painting images specifically, or just repainting the page in general?

>> Not sure what tools you have used but you may find this helpful: http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/speedtracer/

David - Thanks!