[webkit-dev] When should we turn on new features?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Feb 10 16:09:53 PST 2012

Hi all,

In general, the decision of whether a given feature is enabled or not is
made by each port. However, at last year's W3C TPAC, there were complaints
from other participants about WebKit shipping half-baked implementations
and breaking feature-detection.

As an example, when WebKit enabled new types for form controls, we didn't
initially have useful UIs. This resulted in breaking websites that relied
on feature-detection to decide whether to use new types or fallback to
JS-based fallback UI. Now those websites need to rely on navigator string.
(I don't intend to name-call anyone or blame this instance in particular).

So when is a Web-facing feature implemented in WebKit good enough to be
enabled by any port? Should there be some set of criteria to be met?

- Ryosuke