[webkit-dev] Removing HTML notifications from WebKit (Was: Web Notifications API)

Aaron Boodman aa at chromium.org
Wed Feb 8 18:15:34 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Jon Lee <jonlee at apple.com> wrote:
> 2. Remove HTML notifications.
>
> It has been removed from the spec, and we don't intend on ever supporting
> HTML notifications. I brought this issue up before; is there an update on
> this front from any other platforms?

HTML notifications are a pretty popular feature in Chrome's extension
system. As of a few months ago:

* 614 extensions in our web store use createHTMLNotification
* 72 have more than 10k users
* 14 have more than 100k users
* 3 have more than 500k users
* 6.7M total actextension installs

We can move developers off of this API, but not overnight. Is it
possible to come up with a slower deprecation plan than "immediately"?

- a