[webkit-dev] What is the license policy of a reviewing patch on Bugzilla (not yet landed to main trunk)?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Feb 7 11:25:39 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2012, at 6:17 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
> > But I've seen cases where people didn't realize some files they uploaded
> on Bugzilla weren't compatible with LGPL or BSD until the review process
>
> Sure, people make mistakes, but our request is that they determine this
> before uploading a patch.
>
> > we should probably judge on case-by-case basis in practice if the patch
> contains new files or code imported from elsewhere
>
> Adding code with a new license is a major decision, so the “we” here has
> to be a larger cross section of the WebKit community than is typical for a
> patch review.

What I meant is that concluding whether a given patch is licensed under
LGPL or BSD should be carefully examined if it were importing some new code
since people do make mistakes as you pointed out. I didn't mean to talk
about the case where people intentionally add patches with LGPL/BSD
incompatible licenses. Obviously, they should be making a request on
webkit-dev before uploading such a patch.

- Ryosuke