[webkit-dev] Adding the Vibration API to WebCore

Soo-Hyun Choi s.choi at hackerslab.eu
Wed Feb 1 02:02:50 PST 2012

On 2/1/12 3:00 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:50 PM, 권기홍 wrote:
>
>>> For game pads that have vibration feedback, there's obviously a tie-in
>>> with the joystick API here:
>>> <https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-August/017757.html>
>>
>> Thanks for your comments Simon.
>> I can see your point. However, while they can be tied-in each other, the current specs are not related between them. Perhaps, I envisage the next version of the vibration API might include the GamePad vibration feature, though I still think that the current vibration API and the GamePad API are sufficiently meaningful to be implemented in WebKit.
>
> My comment was actually meant to be somewhat facetious, and intended to reflect how arbitrary the new APIs are. Why support GamePad input, and not TV remote control input? Why only deal with vibration on a mobile device, and not other kinds of hardware feedback? I don't think they are good APIs.

Well, you are right in a sense that one may like to see some form of
unified API that can represent various hardware feedback, but I guess
that will take ages to be finalised at the W3C's point of view.

Meanwhile, many of us here, perhaps, want those interested features to
be included in WebKit as soon as they become available.

In this respect, I'd like to assume that they are not simply arbitrary
APIs, but interesting ones that might be emerged into some other form(s)
later as W3C elaborates the spec standards.

Kind regards,
Soo-Hyun