[webkit-dev] MS Open Tech - Initial Prototype of Pointer Events

Scott Blomquist (MS OPEN TECH) sblom at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 18 17:07:37 PST 2012

We are part of the engineering team of Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc. (MS Open Tech, a Microsoft subsidiary; see our initial announcement at http://aka.ms/introMSOpenTech). We have developed an initial proof of concept of a WebKit implementation of the Pointer Events W3C Working Draft (http://www.w3.org/TR/pointerevents/). It is based on a proposal that Microsoft initially submitted to the W3C. You can find more details in our blog post at http://aka.ms/PointerEventsWebkitPrototypeBlog.

Right now, this is only a very early proof of concept that implements selected mouse and touch events. You can find the code as a WebKit patch on our HTML5 Labs website here: http://aka.ms/PointerEventsWebkitPrototype. We would love to have some feedback on the code, work with the WebKit community on a complete implementation of whatever final spec will be defined by the W3C Pointer Events WG and if the community is interested in our contribution get some advice on how/when to submit this patch to the main WebKit trunk.

(For those wondering why we are doing this, we are obviously interested in moving forward existing and new input types on the open web and, as the spec evolves, maintain interoperability between WebKit and Internet Explorer.)

--
Scott Blomquist
Senior Development Engineer

Adalberto Foresti