[webkit-dev] Rolling out a patch requires a justification beyond a test failure in downstream projects

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Dec 11 20:39:53 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> First off, I don't think we should be rolling out patches based solely on
> a downstream test unless there is a clear evidence that the failure is a
> real regression in WebKit that affects more than just the said downstream
> project.

To understand this perspective, imagine that I've created a new app called
SuperWebKitApp that's built on Chromium, EFL, GTK+, Qt, etc... ports in my
spare time, and started rolling out all Chromium, EFL, GTK+, Qt, etc...
patches that break automated tests in SuperWebKitApp, just giving
hyperlinks to my buildbots. That's pretty upsetting, isn't it?

- R. Niwa