[webkit-dev] Please avoid rolling out patches speculatively and reland them ASAP if you had to

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Tue Dec 11 14:27:38 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> Or the sheriff could actually see if rolling out a patch locally fixes the
> problem.  I'm not sure why they're considering "not testing" to be a valid
> behaviour for someone who is ostensibly meant to be keeping things going in
> the face of people who aren't testing.

If the sheriff is capable of testing locally, that's an option.  It's often
impossible, however, for the sheriff to test locally, e.g. if the bustage
is in a port he can't build.  Even when possible, it may take a
prohibitively long time to sync, build, and test, during which time the
tree is broken for everyone.  Cycling the main waterfall itself may
inconvenience the rest of the developer community less.  As usual, it's a
judgment call.

Again, I've spent many days as WebKit sheriff, and I've only done
speculative rollouts a couple of times, so I don't see this as a constant,
major problem.

PK