[webkit-dev] Multiprocess networking in WebKit

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Wed Dec 5 12:11:02 PST 2012

On Dec 4, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 December 2012, Adam Barth wrote:
>> There's been a somewhat fragmented discussion across webkit-dev and
>> various bugs about how we ought to approach multiprocess networking in
>> WebKit.  In an attempt to organize my thoughts, I wrote up a short
>> design document that compares various approaches:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ihpwbiG_EDirnLibkkglEtyFoEEcf7t9XNAn8JD
>> 4fQY/edit
> About the network process, I would just like to suggest not limiting it to
> one, not even to begin with. There is not much simplicity or efficiency to be
> gained by keeping all network request in the same process, and extra processes
> could be used for faster responses and increased security.

I haven't had the chance to read Adam's document yet.

I disagree with your notion that a single Network Process doesn't much efficiency to be gained.  In a world with multiple web content processes it is important to have a single coordinator for network i/o so the systems connection and any given host isn't hammered.

That said, the work we've already done on the WebKit2 Network Process assumes support for multiple Network Processes at some stage.  Actually making use of them can be rolled in once the fundamentals in place.

~Brady