[webkit-dev] [CoordinatedGraphics] bugs and what they mean

noam.rosenthal at nokia.com noam.rosenthal at nokia.com
Fri Aug 31 10:52:48 PDT 2012

Hello
Recently people have expressed confusion about bug reports in bugzilla that deal with the coordinated graphics system. I wanted to help a bit with the confusion.

The coordinated graphics system was contributed gradually by Qt in the last year or so, and is documented here: http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/CoordinatedGraphicsSystem. Earlier it was known as UI_SIDE_COMPOSITING, but that name was a bit awkward.

Lately, EFL has made some of the Qt-specific parts of that code cross-platform and have started using it together with TextureMapper, which makes it misleading to use the [Qt] prefix for coordinated-graphics bugs.

In general, there are several components in WebKit that are shared by several ports, but not all ports, e.g. GStreamer or Cairo. CoordinatedGraphics is simply one of them.

If there is still confusion about this, or if someone feels that we should use different prefixes or communicate about it in a different way, please let us know!

No'am