[webkit-dev] Is the New XMLParser dead?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Aug 27 15:06:06 PDT 2012

On Aug 27, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:

> Checking back in:
>
> Curious if this effort is still underway.  Adam and I would like to
> delete the New XML Parser if it's not needed in order to simplify the
> HTML 5 Parser again. :)

We do tentatively plan to get back to it (the original implementor is currently working full-time at Apple on the WebKit team).

As far as simplifying the HTML5 parser - isn't most of the foundational work that touches the HTML5 parser also required for WebVTT, as mentioned by me in the email you quote below? Is there a big simplicity win to be had without breaking WebVTT? If so, we can think about whether removing the scaffolding and reconstructing it when needed is worthwhile.

 - Maciej