[webkit-dev] A simpler proposal for handling failing tests WAS: A proposal for handling "failing" layout tests and TestExpectations

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Aug 17 18:40:19 PDT 2012

My understanding of the current proposal is this:

1) This applies to tests that fail deterministically, for reasons other than a crash or hang.
2) If the test has a new result that you're confident is a progression (or neither better or worse), you simply update the -expected.txt file.
3) If the test has a new result that you're confident is a regression, you delete the -expected.txt file and check in the new results as -failing.txt.
4) Ditto points 2 and 3 with respect to -expected.png, for image diffs.
5) We would stop using all other ways of marking tests that fail deterministically, including Skipped and the many things you could enter in TestExpectations.

Is that correct?

If so, I'd like to suggest a minor modification. In place of point 3 above, I propose the following:

3) If the test has a new result that you're confident is a regression, you rename the -expected.txt file to -previous.txt (or maybe -correct.txt or -pre-expected.txt or something) and check in the new results as -expected.txt (unless there is already a -previous.txt, in which case just update -expected and leave -previous).

I propose this for the following reasons:

- It maintains the longstanding approach that -expected.txt reflects what is currently *expected* to happen, not whether it is right or wrong in some abstract sense. It is an expectation, not a reference.
- It still leaves a clear indication of tests that somebody needs to look at further, to determine if a regression occurred.
- It leaves both old and new result in place for easy comparison by an expert.

Regards,
Maciej