[webkit-dev] Proposal to remove list-item special counter

Elliott Sprehn esprehn at chromium.org
Wed Aug 15 14:29:47 PDT 2012

WebKit is the only browser that implements the magic counter named
"list-item" and we have no tests for it. This is from the CSS3 Lists module
(http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-lists/). This special counter was added back
in the initial implementation of CSS counters 6 years ago.

ex.

<ol>
 <li>
 </ol>

It's not useful since we don't support the ::marker psuedo element, nor
does any other browser. The above example outputs (2) since the implied
counter increment is on the list marker which we don't actually support. I
can't find references to this thing in Google outside the spec itself
either.

Can I remove this feature?

- Elliott