[webkit-dev] Fwd: image downscaling during decoding

Tom Hudson tomhudson at chromium.org
Mon Aug 13 06:59:37 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Anton Obzhirov <a.obzhirov at samsung.com>wrote:

> **
>
> We are looking for ways to improve page loading speed and reduce memory
> usage for WebKit in general and for GTK port of WebKit in particular.****
>
> One of the ideas is to implement downscaling of the images during decoding
> for image elements with rectangle less then original image size.****
>
> At the moment such images are full decoded to a full size buffer and get
> downscaled during rendering. ****
>
> It can be quite beneficial in term of memory usage and should speed up
> rendering of the pages like image galleries for example.****
>
> So what are your thoughts about it?

Interesting idea! I know Chrome sees memory pressure from the downsampling
two-step on some pages, so I'd think this is could be useful for us, too.

Isn't it going to require fairly large and intrusive changes to several
different third-party libraries, though?
Also, different ports use different image downscaling algorithms; I can
think of ways to try to enable incremental downscaling callbacks so you
don't have to implement N downscales in each of M decoders, but none that
are both general and performant.

I'd love to see a proposal on this.

Tom
(from the right account this time)