[webkit-dev] Multiple inheritance in the DOM

Andrei Bucur abucur at adobe.com
Wed Aug 1 09:45:00 PDT 2012

Hi Adam,

On 7/27/12 1:55 AM, "Adam Barth" <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

>Perhaps it would make sense to start with a smaller CSSOM for Regions
>that uses established patterns and techniques.  That way we can gain
>experience with these patterns and techniques before jumping into API
>designs that don't follow existing patterns and introduce complexity
>across the entire platform.

In the light of the recent discussions I think the best action to take is
not to add the Region interface in WebKit at this moment. Instead of that,
we should move the members from the Region interface to the Element
interface and implement them there. The
NamedFlow.getRegions()/getRegionsByContent() methods would then return a
sequence of Elements.

When other types of DOM/CSSOM objects will be able to become regions (such
as pseudo-elements) we will take another look at implementing the
supplemental interfaces mechanism.

The downside with taking this path is the region sequences returned by the
NamedFlow API functions will not contain the pseudo-elements that are
regions. However, I think this is an issue we can live with :).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrei.