[webkit-dev] github mirror

James Robinson jamesr at google.com
Tue Apr 24 11:06:29 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Tor Arne Vestbø
<tor.arne.vestbo at nokia.com>wrote:

> On 24.04.12 16:04, ext Shezan Baig wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Adam Roben<aroben at webkit.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> In what situation does this cause issues?
>>>>

>>> Probably the biggest issue is for people who've been using
>>> git.webkit.org and now want to try out GitHub. Since the commits are
>>> distinct between the two repositories, they have to do a full clone to
>>> make the switch.
>>>

>> In theory though, these users should be able to just add a remote to
>> their existing clone.  Then it will just sync the commit objects, and
>> not the trees and blobs.  Not ideal, they would have two different
>> 'masters', but still doable, and not *that* much of an overhead.
>> Switching between the different masters should also be fast since the
>> trees will be the same.
>>

> Right, a fetch should ideally just pull down the commit objects, but it
> appears git does not have this optimization. If it did, I don't think the
> issue of two remote masters would be that big, since you would at some
> point likely transition to use one of the mirrors anyways. And if not,
> having multiple mirrors/remotes should be fine -- I'm using both the github
> and gitorious mirror without any issues.
>

>  But I agree these two repos should probably merge sooner rather than
>> later, just to avoid confusion for new users etc :)
>>

> I would support that if it means cleaning up the author-script (which I'm
> happy to do), and using that on webkit.org.

Whatever we decide to do in the future, author rewriting seems like
extremely low value compared to having matching SHA1s.  I think we should
get a clone on github.com that matches the existing git.webkit.org SHA1s
and then make sure that they stay in sync (either with rewriting or not,
but whatever webkit.org does).

- James