[webkit-dev] github mirror

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Tue Apr 24 07:49:56 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 03:59:47 PM Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
> On 24.04.12 15:55, ext Adam Roben wrote:
> > Probably the biggest issue is for people who've been using
> > git.webkit.org and now want to try out GitHub. Since the commits are
> > distinct between the two repositories, they have to do a full clone to
> > make the switch.
>
> Any idea why git is not smarter when pulling down the objects?

I think it's to minimize the traffic in the git protocol. If you just compare
git commits, you can calculate the delta relatively quickly with fewer
roundtrips. If server and client start to negotiate on the git object level
itself it's going to take months to figure out which objects the client has and
which ones are missing :)

Simon