[webkit-dev] github mirror

Shezan Baig shezbaig.wk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 07:04:50 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Adam Roben <aroben at webkit.org> wrote:
>> In what situation does this cause issues?
>
> Probably the biggest issue is for people who've been using
> git.webkit.org and now want to try out GitHub. Since the commits are
> distinct between the two repositories, they have to do a full clone to
> make the switch.

In theory though, these users should be able to just add a remote to
their existing clone.  Then it will just sync the commit objects, and
not the trees and blobs.  Not ideal, they would have two different
'masters', but still doable, and not *that* much of an overhead.
Switching between the different masters should also be fast since the
trees will be the same.

But I agree these two repos should probably merge sooner rather than
later, just to avoid confusion for new users etc :)