[webkit-dev] github mirror

Tor Arne Vestbø tor.arne.vestbo at nokia.com
Tue Apr 24 06:49:08 PDT 2012

On 18.04.12 17:02, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 06:53:46 AM ext Shezan Baig wrote:
>> Hi WebKit,
>>
>> I've been using a fork of the following repo:
>> https://github.com/WebKit/webkit
>>
>> However, yesterday there was discussion on #webkit that the SHA-1 checksums
>> on this repo are different from repo at git.webkit.org, which means folks
>> working on both need to have both versions checked out.
>
> I believe the reason for them being different is because in the github repo the
> commit author fields are resolved.

That's correct. I'm the one running that mirror (along with the one at
gitorious.org/webkit), and the import is done using an author-script
that resolves author names and emails for a nicer history. The commit
objects will be different, hence the different sha1s, but the tree and
blob objects are the same.

In what situation does this cause issues?

I'd like to keep the github/gitorious mirror with proper author names,
so is it perhaps an alternative to move the webkit.org mirror to use the
same author script? (which can also be cleaned up an improved to take
into account names from changlogs vs commit-queue, etc).

tor arne