[webkit-dev] Double-Resolution (Retina) Images - Re: -webkit-image-set

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 21:28:57 PDT 2012

2012/4/24 Tom Penzer <tpenzer at mailcan.com>:
> Hi Everybody!
>
>        As a first-time poster, I am sorry ahead of time for any lapses in
> etiquette. I am seeking feedback for my (hopefully relatively painless in
> practice compared to the alternatives - i.e. -webkit-image-set and html5
> <image>) proposal to solve the problem of 2x-res (double-resolution) images
> with our current HTML and CSS standards for devices with high-resolution
> displays, such as 3rd Generation iPads and 4th generation iPhones and newer.

This seems like a perfect use-case for the @media rule of CSS, does it not?

It's obviously not up-to-date in its definition (eg. handheld devices
are not "typically small screen, limited bandwidth" anymore), but on
the other hand it allows undefined types as well so nothing prevents
implementers to extend it beforehand (like is done with most CSS
properties anyway).

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi