[webkit-dev] webkit2 with v8

Balazs Kelemen kbalazs at webkit.org
Mon Apr 23 03:28:21 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I would like to inform you about the topic I am working on, since it is
something
that can affect WebKit2 architecturally. I would like to make WebKit2
work with v8.
The motivation behind this is that the long term goal of the Qt port is
to switch to v8.
Qt already use v8 in it's Qml module, and it's better to have only one
VM in the framework
(less code size, less memory usage, easier maintenance).

My goal is to achieve this with the minimal amount of changes made in
WebKit2. My plan
for WebKitTestRunner is to wrap v8 behind the JavaScriptCore API (or, in
another point of
view, implement the JSC API upon the v8 API). For the core of WebKit2 we
will have to use
some bindings for things like plugins or the injected bundle but it
should be not too much of
a maintenance burden.

Inform me if you have any concerns or suggestion.

Cheers!
Balazs Kelemen