[webkit-dev] Eliminate potential null pointer dereference?

Luke Macpherson macpherson at chromium.org
Fri Apr 20 11:25:47 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> Is the code reachable? It's quite possible that the code is unreachable and
> therefore there is no way to hit that crash. Without a test, we can't answer
> that question.

That is not rationally true. A test case can show that there is a code
path leading to a null pointer dereference. A test cannot show that
there are no possible code paths that lead to that state. This is
exactly what I was getting at when explaining that the state space of
webkit is too large to test. In this case we don't have a repro case
that leads to that state, but that does not mean that it is not
possible, or that the potential to crash should not be fixed.