[webkit-dev] Feature announcement: canvas pixel access API additions for high-resolution backing stores

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Apr 16 15:25:15 PDT 2012

On Apr 16, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Oliver Hunt wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2012, at 1:44 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure why developers would choose to ignore HiDPI.  It seems like it helps their apps/pages look better!
>>
>> You really feel like you need to "kowtow" to developers to get them to adopt HiDPI?
>
> The existing API supported high dpi, no one wrote there code to handle it because no one really uses it.  It will be decades before high dpi is the norm (eg. it will remain a "no one really uses it" feature), so why would you go for the more complex and slower code path to support something that will in general not effect anyone?

Apple ships systems with a non 1-to-1 ratio of CSS pixels to device pixels (iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, the new iPad), though presently none of them scale canvas backing stores by default. Part of the reason it was necessary to stick with unscaled canvas backing store is compat issues which are addressed by the HiDPI proposal. It seems likely to me that more of the industry will move to high resolution displays over time.

Regards,
Maciej