[webkit-dev] Reg.use of WTF_CHANGES in FastMalloc.cpp...

Arunprasad Rajkumar ararunprasad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:57:55 PDT 2012

Hi Eric, Morrita  & All,

Thanks for answering.

I understand like FastMalloc is derived from google's perf-tool TCMalloc to
avoid one more dependency. Unused codes were kept inside  WTF_CHANGES to
ease the merging of new versions of TCMalloc.

But why don't we enable the statistics(allocated objects,committed virtual
memory from OS) here? Similar to *about:tcmalloc in google chrome.* Hope
this will help to identify the leaks & memory growth of webkit.

On 12 April 2012 14:59, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:

> FastMalloc is a fork of tcmalloc:
> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WTF/wtf/FastMalloc.cpp#L37
> http://goog-perftools.sourceforge.net/doc/tcmalloc.html
> from several years ago.
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Hajime Morrita <morrita at chromium.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The code was brought from a third party library and WebKit (WTF) needs
> > some changes to the original code. It looks such changes are marked by
> > WTF_CHANGES. For example, WTF shouldn't depend on gflags, which is
> > disabled by the WTF_CHANGES guard.
> >
> > --
> > morrita
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Arunprasad Rajkumar
> > <ararunprasad at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I don't understand the use of define  WTF_CHANGES in FastMalloc.cpp &
> >> TCSystemAlloc.cpp.
> >>
> >> Any body help me to understand that?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> --