[webkit-dev] Fwd: Is converting pixel tests to reftests kosher for imported libraries?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Apr 12 14:37:08 PDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Graham <jgraham at opera.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Is converting pixel tests to reftests kosher for
imported libraries?
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org>
Cc: webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org, Ms2ger <ms2ger at gmail.com>, Ehsan Akhgari <
ehsan at mozilla.com>, James Graham <jgraham at opera.com>

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:

 Correction: the person from Opera who tried to add reference files
> is Geoffrey Sneddon as Anne pointed out.
>
> +Ms2ger, +ehsan from Mozilla, and +jgraham from Opera.
>
> Also note that both Ehsan and James have pointed out that my concern that
> a test and the corresponding ref will match for wrong reasons (e.g. the
> entire page is blank) could
> be be mitigated by having good noref (expected-mismatch in WebKit
> convention). James also noted that they haven't had such problems in
> practice.

To be clear I have seen the problem where refs and tests match for the
wrong reasons. On the other hand I have never seen us miss a regression for
this reason, and it has, overall, been far less of a problem for us than
maintaining several tens of thousands of pixel-equality tests was.