[webkit-dev] Handling failing reftests

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Apr 12 14:18:41 PDT 2012

On Apr 12, 2012 1:53 PM, "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> My suggestion is to try to make it platform-independent but it's
significantly harder than rebaselining the results for pixel tests. As you
point out, it defeats one of the benefits of reftests if we end up
introducing platform-specific reference files.

> - Ryosuke

It defeats one of the benefits but not all, I think (hope?)

-- Dirk

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Jacob Goldstein <jacobg at adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Right, but when those differences come to light, should the goal be to
adjust the ref test to make it platform-independent, or is having
platform-specific ref tests acceptable?  Doesn't that put us in the same
situation as having platform-specific pixel tests?

WebKit Development <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org>

>> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Handling failing reftests
>>
>> Right but you wouldn't know platform-specific issues until you land
them. e.g. rounding errors, subtle font differences in edge cases, etc...

>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Jacob Goldstein <jacobg at adobe.com>
wrote:

>>> Isn't the goal of writing a ref test that it is not platform specific?
>>>
>>> From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org>
>>> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:29:42 -0700
>>> To: Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org>
>>> Cc: Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org>, WebKit Development <
webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Handling failing reftests

once you've done so, the cost on the project of maintaining the test is
usually considerably lower than pixel tests.

>>> Not so sure. There are cases where we have these platform specific
failures for ref tests, and they're much harder to fix than rebaselining
pixel results.