[webkit-dev] handling failing tests (test_expectations, Skipped files, etc.)

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Tue Apr 10 12:29:54 PDT 2012

I don't think we can come up with a hard and fast rule given current
tooling. In a theoretical future world in which it's easy to get expected
results off the EWS bots (or some other infrastructure), it would be
reasonable to expect people to incorporate the correct expected results for
any EWS-having ports before committing the patch. I expect we'd all agree
that would be better than turning the bots red or adding to
test_expectations.txt/Skipped files.

In the current world, it's a judgement call. If I expect a patch to need a
lot of platform-specific baselines, I'll make sure to commit it at a time
when I have hours to spare to cleanup any failures or, if I can't stick
around for the bots to cycle, I'll add it to test_expectations.txt
appropriately.

Both approaches have nasty tradeoffs. It is probably worth writing up a
wiki page outlining these two options and explaining why you might do one
or the other for people new to the project, but I don't see benefit in
trying to pick a hard rule that everyone must follow.

Ojan