[webkit-dev] It's time to remove the Haiku port

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Sun Sep 25 22:34:37 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm not sure where we should draw the line, but this case seems
>> pretty clearly in the "unmaintained" camp, as was the old Android
>> port.  Maybe a good rule of thumb is something like if the community
>> is spending more effort maintaining a port over a long period of time
>> than the nominal maintainers of that port, then it's a sign that the
>> port is creating negative value for the project.
>
> I'm not sure. For one-person/small ports, this might always be the case
> because they won't be able to contribute at the rate other ports do.

I think any time the larger community is spending more effort than the
port authors on a particular port we should be wary about keeping the
port.

Certainly that indicates that either our base-costs for having a port
are too high (our platform abstraction is poor, etc.) or that the port
maintainers aren't active enough in the project.

-eric