[webkit-dev] It's time to remove the Haiku port

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sun Sep 25 09:12:56 PDT 2011

I think removing Haiku port is a good thing given they don't even have build
bots or EWS bots. We can't even tell if they compile or not.

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> Yeah, I'm not sure where we should draw the line, but this case seems
> pretty clearly in the "unmaintained" camp, as was the old Android
> port.  Maybe a good rule of thumb is something like if the community
> is spending more effort maintaining a port over a long period of time
> than the nominal maintainers of that port, then it's a sign that the
> port is creating negative value for the project.

I'm not sure. For one-person/small ports, this might always be the case
because they won't be able to contribute at the rate other ports do.

In this case also, I feel like when we discussed this issue over a
> year and a half ago, Stephan and Maxime said they were going to
> actively maintain and improve the port, specifically over the summer
> of 2010.  As far as I can tell, that never happened.  In that sense, I
> feel like we've already given them the benefit of the doubt.

Following this pattern, giving a warning then waiting for some period of
time might be sufficient. e.g.

   1. Warn the port (probably on webkit-dev)
   2. Wait for six months

If there's no activity in step 2 to counter the argument, then remove the
port.

- Ryosuke