[webkit-dev] New feature announcement - Implement HTML5 Microdata in WebKit

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Sep 22 14:13:51 PDT 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Dean Jackson wrote:

> However, isn't prefixing designed to avoid incompatibilities in spec
> changes, not incompatibilities between implementations? Ensuring no
> conflicts in implementations doesn't matter too much if the spec
> changes.

It's designed to ensure that authors can reliably use a name and expect to
get the same result in any UA that supports that name.

I'm not going to change the spec in a way that conflicts with that -- if
the spec has to change, it'll change either in a compatible way (e.g. to
match what was actually implemented), or in a way that doesn't conflict
(e.g. by changing the name in the spec).

> Note I'm not talking about Microdata in particular. I don't even know
> what that spec is :) I'm just talking about the general approach. If the
> world can guarantee that this spec will never change, then I guess your
> technique works.
>
> FWIW, there is an in-between approach, which is the one used by WebGL.
> It defines a prefix that all implementations share.
>
> canvas.getContext("experimental-webgl");

That'll just result in that name becoming the standard.