[webkit-dev] A Media Element ie: <Audio> or <video>, without tabindex cannot be selected with keyboard (TAB Key). BUG: 67190

Deepak Sherveghar bpwv64 at motorola.com
Wed Sep 14 10:06:20 PDT 2011

> Firefox seems to treat the whole set of controls as one focusable element - you can use the spacebar to play/pause and the arrow keys plus modifiers to skip around. I couldn't figure out a way to access the volume control.

Firefox uses left/right arrow key for seeking and up/down arrow key
combination for volume control.
I particularly like the way firefox handles the focus thing ie: treat
the whole set of controls as one focusable element and use keys plus
modifiers to use the controls.

> An alternative approach would be to make each individual subcontrol focusable - the play/pause button, the seek slider, and the volume slider, plus potentially other controls for video.

Opera browser does exactly this. Individual controls are focused. Only
drawback I feel is if a user's tab stop  is not a video element, then
he has tab through all the controls before reaching the next element
after media. Also with growing number of controls in future like fast
forward, rewind etc.. this might pose a usability problem.

 >> An alternative approach would be to make each individual subcontrol
>> focusable - the play/pause button, the seek slider, and the volume slider,
>> plus potentially other controls for video.
>
> What would script see as focused if we allow subcontrols be focusable?

Since controls are part of shadow DOM, scripts wont be able to see
that. In this case then they would probably end up with respective
media element.

-Deepak Sherveghar