[webkit-dev] A Media Element ie: <Audio> or <video>, without tabindex cannot be selected with keyboard (TAB Key). BUG: 67190

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Sep 14 09:56:10 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Deepak Sherveghar <bpwv64 at motorola.com>wrote:

> As with current Webkit behavior, only media elements with tab-index
> attribute specified can be focused with keyboard (TAB key).
>
> From a usability as well as accessibility perspective, we should be able to
> focus (via keyboard using TAB key)
> media elements that have controls attribute specified but do not have a
> tab-index attribute specified.
> ie: <video controls src="../media/content/test.mp4"></video>  //should be
> focused by tabbing.
>
> This would help in making the media element keyboard accessible.

This seems like a good change provided we're not violating any standards by
doing so.

Also Ian 'Hixie' Hickson is of the opinion that:
> "Whether something is "interactive content" or not has no bearing on
> whether it is focusable or not: the definition of focusable doesn't
>  refer to whether something is "interactive content":
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete.html#focusable

Whether something should be focusable or not is essentially up to the
> browser vendor (you). I would recommend making it possible
> to focus video controls if they are present, of course. But that's not a
> spec conformance matter, it's a usability matter."

I'm a bit surprised by this response. Since the concept of "focus" is
exposed to the Web, it seems like we should be standardizing the behavior.
But then I'm not opposed to this idea because not having a spec gives us
more freedom.

Need suggestion or feedback on this.
> Whether we should go ahead with this or follow any other approach ????

Given the information provided here, I support making this change.

- Ryosuke