[webkit-dev] Do you maintain OS(WINCE)?

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Tue Sep 13 14:45:47 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Patrick Gansterer <paroga at paroga.com> wrote:
> How do we measure an "active port"??? I maintain a buildbot for WinCe and usually fix problems with the port within hours. Unfortunately I don't get paid to work on WebKit the whole day and so I can't make such big steps forward like other ports do.
> Other active ports (e.g. wx) don't even have a buildbot and get maintained too.
> Some configuration like BREWMP or HAIKU don't have buildbot and I can't see any build fixes or _upstraeming_ activity for them within the last months.

I think this is a good question.  We don't currently have many
guidelines around this question.

> So PLEASE: When do we call a port "active"? It's not cool to get the question about removal every few months!

I think you're unfortunately caught in the cross-fire of recent
efforts to try and simply WebCore's configuration.

There is an increasing burden to continued development of all the
various #if switches in WebCore.

We don't currently have any central way to view which ports have which
#if's turned on vs. off.
We don't even have a way to view what ports exist!

All these #ifs make daily development difficult.  In this example,
Geoff is looking to get rid of the non-threaded JSC #if (to simplify
code on all ports).  WINCE currently builds with this option
(intentionally or not).

I think that you're right that we should better clarify what it means
to be an "active" port, and what benefits/responsibilities such
"activity" implies.

-eric