[webkit-dev] More ports on nightly.webkit.org?

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Mon Sep 12 12:48:02 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Leandro Pereira
<leandro at profusion.mobi> wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 03:10 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
>> Do any ports besides the Apple ports produce nightly builds that
>> end-users might be interested in using?  If so, it might make sense to
>> expand the offerings on http://nightly.webkit.org/ to include more
>> choices.  For example, Linux users might enjoy a nightly build that
>> runs on Linux.
>
> Excellent. I can provide at least WebKit-EFL/Linux packages. If it's easy to
> generate packages for other Linux ports as well (GTK and Qt ports I know
> that are easy to build; never tried Wx and Chromium), I can give a try in
> writing and maintaining a bot that does that.
>
> OTOH, providing binary packages for Linux isn't an easy task. Different
> packaging standards, ABI differences, etc, makes binary distribution a
> nightmare: even if a new set of libraries are installed, there is no
> warranty that the browsers will pick those up or even if it will work at all
> (not really an issue for nightly builds but annoying nonetheless).
>
> If there's an agreement of which Linux distribution should be supported by
> n.w.o, things will be a lot easier.

My sense is that each port can make that decision on its own.  For
example, binary builds of Chrome are available for Debian, Ubuntu,
Fedora, and openSUSE.  If you wanted to provide binary builds of the
EFL port for those or different flavors of Linux, that's up to you.

Adam