[webkit-dev] Implementing <style scoped>

Roland Steiner rolandsteiner at google.com
Fri Sep 9 12:51:05 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Very excited for this feature!
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner at chromium.org
> > wrote:
>>
>> As per discussion on
>> http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-June/032056.html,
>> our implementation would diverge from the current HTML5 spec
>>

> Why do diverge? It seems like we should at least prefix the attribute with
> webkit in the case spec changes in the future.

See above linked discussion for details. In the end we felt limiting the
selector matching to the scope is more natural, and - with the proposed
exception providued by :root and :scope - is more flexible.

However, naming the attribute 'webkit-scoped' may certainly be a good idea.

 Can we take these steps behind a flag given the attribute doesn't work
>> properly without some steps?

I would prefer not to use a flag for the following reasons:

.) I already have the basic functionality working, with the exception of
scoped @keyframes and @font-face, so landing should not take a long time (I
am currently in the process of breaking the patch up, and adding more
tests).
.) There are quite a few changes that add parameters to functions, etc.,
which makes adding a flag ugly.

Cheers,

- Roland