[webkit-dev] Code Search for webkit.org

Evan Martin evan at chromium.org
Thu Sep 8 16:24:28 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Adam Roben <aroben at apple.com> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2011, at 5:52 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:
>
>> I'm curious how other developers search the WebKit code?
>>
>> I use http://codesearch.google.com/#search/&q=package:webkit from time
>> to time.  If others do too, we should make it a redirect from
>> cs.webkit.org (like we do for cia.webkit.org).
>>
>> Or maybe folks have better code search solutions?  grep -r?
>
> I use git grep or Xcode/Visual Studio's find functionality. But I trust git grep more for code that might run on other platforms.

BTW, emacs users might like this short emacs snippet, which hooks up
git grep to Emacs's grep support:
https://github.com/martine/config/blob/master/emacs.d/git-grep.el

(Using git grep from within emacs means you can use the normal
commands for jumping through grep output.  It's just like M-x rgrep
but faster due to using git grep underneath.)