[webkit-dev] Style guide should mention that we don't use anonymous namespace

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Oct 19 16:29:24 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> wrapping those in an anonymous namespace?
> >> I’d suggest not wrapping them in an anonymous namespace. Debugging tools
> work better when classes have unique names.
> >
> > Has this been a convention we use?
>
> I’m not sure how to answer that. I have not used anonymous namespaces in
> any WebKit code I contributed, and the first case of doing so that I recall
> was when Adam Barth used some in the HTML parser work.

Okay. Sounds like it's left to reviewers' and committers' discretions. It'll
be still nice to give some guidance on when we should and should not use
anonymous namespaces so that I don't have to engage in a debate on every
code review.

I personally don't like anonymous namespaces because VS.net's class view
separates classes within anonymous namespace from the rest:
http://goo.gl/2IkzQ (screen shot)

But I think we've established that we prefer having unique class/function
names over using anonymous namespaces.

- Ryosuke