[webkit-dev] Style guide should mention that we don't use anonymous namespace

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Oct 19 15:59:01 PDT 2011

I’m open to changing our style.

The compiler many of us used in the past, gcc, had problems generating correct debug information for code in anonymous namespaces. Given that most uses didn’t accomplish anything more than putting static in front of functions did, we decided to stick with that. But that old gcc problem is not an active problem for most WebKit developers, since we’re almost all using either clang or Visual C++.

As far as classes are concerned, I am not sure what kinds of difficulties qw might have debugging if there was no simple way to type a class’s name unambiguously. I’m sure that at least some things that are easier if each class has a unique name.

    -- Darin