[webkit-dev] -webkit-inline-box and visible descendants

Dominic Cooney dominicc at chromium.org
Tue Oct 18 07:09:18 PDT 2011

Hi webkittens,

Is there a spec for -webkit-inline-box?

I am investigating an assertion failure I can tickle using
-webkit-inline-box. But to fix this, I first need to understand what the
intended behavior is. If I have this markup:

<!DOCTYPE html>
#a {
  display: -webkit-inline-box;
  visibility: collapse;
}

#b {
  visibility: visible;
}
foo

This displays "foo"--pretty unsurprising. Same result as if #a had display:
inline-block, incidentally.

However if I wrap #b in another div, nothing is displayed. Plausible because
the new div inherits visibility: collapse from #a. But is this
intended/correct? Because it breaks the analogy with display: inline-block,
which still displays "foo."

Any advice appreciated!

Dominic