[webkit-dev] layout tests cannot set Generic RGB Color Profile on headless MacPro?

Elliot Poger epoger at google.com
Fri Oct 7 11:45:23 PDT 2011

I was having problems with lots of image mismatches running WebKit layout
tests on a headless MacPro (10.6.8).  (The image diffs were very minor
adjustments in scroll bar shading.)

Eventually, out of frustration, I tried running the same test on that
headless MacPro as well as my desktop MacPro (also 10.6.8).  The test
succeeded on my desktop MacPro but not the headless MacPro.

One difference I have noticed is that the Display Profile (under System
Preferences > Displays > Color) is set to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" (my desktop
was set to "Generic RGB Profile").  I tried setting it to "Generic RGB
Profile" on the headless machine, but when I closed and reopened System
Preferences it had reverted to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1".

I tried setting the Display Profile on my desktop to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1",
and the color scheme was noticeably brighter... but when I ran layout tests
afterwards, I saw that layout tests automatically set the profile back
to "Generic RGB Profile" temporarily for the test.  When I run layout tests
on the headless MacPro, it seems that it fails to change the color profile
(and I don't see any error in the output of layout tests).

I tried it on a headless Mac Mini (10.6.8) and there layout tests was able
to change to Generic RGB Profile (and thus the tests passed).

For now, my fix is going to be: don't run layout tests on headless MacPros;
use headless MacMinis instead.  Is this a Known Issue?  Any suggestions?

Thanks
-Elliot