[webkit-dev] New feature flag proposal: Joystick API

David Levin levin at chromium.org
Thu Oct 6 11:14:23 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> I share Simon's concern that that providing low level access to every
> possible controller creates fragmentation, with purportedly "HTML" content
> that only works on a few devices. There is no clear cut border here - it's
> been mentioned that even touch events can be seen as rare - and then I
> advocate that adding more mouse specific events is a bad idea for the same
> reason.

Isn't a balance of usefulness vs fragmentation vs trusting developers?

When touch events are exposed, I'd expect that developers who care about
having a board appeal will have alternatives for users without a touch
interface but having a web page be able to respond to touch events seems
useful for web pages to do to shine in that context.  (In fact developers
are inclined to provide this other interface to have the broad appeal.)

Doesn't the same thing apply to these other cases?

dave