[webkit-dev] The JSC Garbage Collector

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Wed Oct 5 11:06:52 PDT 2011

Hi Sanjoy.

(+Oliver and Mark, who can help point you in the right direction.)

I don't think the system you described would work. To move an object, you need to update all pointers to it. You also need to resolve other assumptions about pointer identity. For example, you need to rework hash tables of pointers to objects, and references from the (conservatively scanned) C stack.

A simpler task that would be useful to GC would be to add to ClassInfo the size of an object, so the collector can traverse objects without explicit size class information.

Geoff