[webkit-dev] Fastest image format

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Tue Oct 4 14:01:18 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:22 AM, Joe LaFritte <joelafritte at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> What is the fastest image format for wekbit ? I mean which image format
> (jpg, png, gif, etc.) is decoded and displayed fastest than the other ones
> ?

That likely depends on the image, the decoder, and the system in question.
 For example, BMPs can be stored as uncompressed data, which requires no
transformation to display onscreen, but means the source data is much larger
so the image takes longer to download.  Similarly, the other image formats
can generally support lots of different compression techniques and levels
that have large effects on image size and decode time, especially if the
decoders in question have optimized inner loops for your chip.

PK