[webkit-dev] What is the reason for changing JavaScript parser from bison parser(LR) to Top-To-Down Recursion parser?

PandaCanFly zpc85 at 126.com
Tue Nov 29 23:38:05 PST 2011

Hello everyone,
    I am researching WEBKIT and coming up against difficulty about Javascript parser。As I Know, WEBKIT of old version uses the bison parser to interpret javascript code. But WEBKIT of recently version doesn't uses bison parser. Instead, WEBKIT of recently version uses Top-To-Down Recursion parser.
    I have some details to add. 1) WEBKIT using bison parser has a source file named "Grammar.cpp". 2) I know WEBKIT with 38688 version number uses bison parser.
I hope someone can give me some explanation, thanks.