[webkit-dev] Using C++ constant local variables in WebKit

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Nov 29 18:19:07 PST 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 1:38 PM, David Kilzer wrote:

> In a discussion on Bug 71921, Antti, Darin Adler and I started a discussion about using C++ constant pointers in WebKit.  Does the WebKit community have a consensus opinion on the matter?

I thought we were discussing local variables in general, not pointer-typed ones specifically.

> * Pros
>   - Documents use of variable.

I would say “documents the fact that the variable’s value is not changed”. I think it’s overstating things to say it “documents use”.

>   - Prevents misuse of variable in a later patch (by a different author) through enforcement of const-ness.

Prevents one specific type of misuse: Setting the variable to another value. And that may not be misuse despite the fact that the original author didn’t plan on changing it.

>   - May help compiler optimize code.  (We weren't sure whether modern compilers do this on their own or not.)

Doesn’t.

> * Cons
>   - Darin Adler doesn't ever recall fixing a bug in WebKit where a constant pointer would have helped.

While true, not really a “con”; just weakens the “pro” argument above that this prevents misuse.

>   - Slightly more verbose syntax for constant pointers to a constant string (const char * const pointer;) or even a constant pointer to a mutable string (char * const pointer;).

Not sure this is a con. Just stating what the C++ syntax.

This is the con I am aware of:

  - Less brief than omitting const.

I’m not strongly opposed to using const more, but I am mildly opposed to it.

-- Darin