[webkit-dev] Using C++ constant pointers (type_name * const) in WebKit
ddkilzer at webkit.org
Mon Nov 28 13:38:32 PST 2011
In a discussion on Bug 71921, Antti, Darin Adler and I started a discussion about using C++ constant pointers in WebKit. Does the WebKit community have a consensus opinion on the matter?
- Documents use of variable.
- Prevents misuse of variable in a later patch (by a different author) through enforcement of pointer const-ness.
- May help compiler optimize code. (We weren't sure whether modern compilers do this on their own or not.)
- Darin Adler doesn't ever recall fixing a bug in WebKit where a constant pointer would have helped.
- Slightly more verbose syntax for constant pointers to a constant string (const char * const pointer;) or even a constant pointer to a mutable string (char * const pointer;).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the webkit-dev