[webkit-dev] New feature: Implement command API in webkit

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Nov 24 00:34:44 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

>  > Also it seems odd that an element that defines commands can be a part of
> > UI.
>
> The current model allows both visible elements to be used as commands, and
> invisible elements (<command>). It's set up so that we can introduce an
> attribute in the near future to make the <command> definitions propagate
> state to the elements used in the UI.

For example, the current design doesn't allow a single command be
associated with multiple UI components such as toolbar, pane, and context
menu because a command is defined at wherever UI component that triggers
the command.

However, in practice, many web apps share the same command state across
multiple UI widgets such as toolbars and context menu. Take, "bold" command
as an example. "bold" command can be disabled or checked (i.e. the selected
text is in bold) and this state needs to shared across many UI elements.

I also don't think UA should auto-generate toolbars as most of web apps
want to have a fine-grain control over the look and feel of their toolbars.

- Ryosuke