[webkit-dev] Cleaning up directories in WebCore

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Fri Nov 18 16:13:47 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> We move files around all the time.  If we're afraid to move files for
>> these reasons, we'll be stuck with bad organizational choices we made
>> in the distant past.  WebKit's philosophy is to think of the future as
>> large, so the future benefits of these sorts of changes often outweigh
>> the transition costs.
>>

> Sure. But the question is whether doing this re-org will benefit us in the
> end or not. I don't think we can always assume any re-org is good.

Consider it this way: if the re-org doesn't benefit us, we shouldn't do it
regardless of these reasons.  If it does, these reasons should not stop us.
 Therefore, I don't think we need to spend a lot of time thinking about
them -- it is enough to acknowledge that re-orgs have nonzero cost in
general.

PK