[webkit-dev] Cleaning up directories in WebCore

Kenneth Russell kbr at google.com
Fri Nov 18 13:25:37 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> I've been looking for ways to improve the hackability of WebCore, and
> one thing that's been bothering me is the organization of our files.
> It seems like we're due for a bit of "fall cleaning" for directories.
> We've talked about some of these ideas before, but I wanted to put
> them all in one email so we can see the big picture.
>
> Below is a concrete proposal for moving some directories around.  In
> this approach, we'll have a "Features" directory to contain logically
> self-contained features, like WebAudio and MediaStream, that are part
> of the engine but that aren't tightly coupled with the DOM, Layout, or
> Rendering.

One comment regarding Web Audio since Chris Rogers is on vacation.
This particular API is in the process of being better integrated with
other DOM elements -- so, for example, a video or audio tag can be
used as a Web Audio source node. It seems to me that moving its
sources out of WebCore will make it more difficult to achieve this
integration, especially if new rules are instituted about dependencies
between Source/WebCore/ and Source/Features/ . Is separate compilation
of WebCore/ and Features/ a goal or non-goal?

The same comment applies to many of the other directories under
consideration like workers/. For this reason I wonder whether smaller
and less traumatic reorganizations would be better in the long run.

Separating out platform/ sounds great, though.

-Ken