[webkit-dev] Custom exception messages for IDL defined methods that raise DOMException.

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Mon Nov 14 20:24:08 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Michael Nordman <michaeln at google.com> wrote:
> I sure hope specific exception messages are not getting codified in specs.

Many folks in the web standards community would disagree.  For
example, the DOM4 effort is specifying these sorts of things:

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#exception-domexception

Many years of fighting web compatibility have taught us the browsers
need to interoperate precisely, even in error conditions, or else
silos of content will calcify around browsers that are wildly used in
different market segments.

The prevailing direction in the web platform today is to specify
precise error handling behavior.  That pendulum may well swing back
towards fuzzy specs, but I somehow doubt WebSQLDatabase will be the
vanguard of that reversal.

> I don't see where the discussion of other browsers is relevant becaus it's
> pretty clear other impls of this component aren't going to happen, yet this
> remains a useful feature of webkit/chrome for the time being. It has issues
> and i'd like to make it more useful.

I wouldn't be too sure of that.  If mobile sites persist in using
WebSQLDatabase and other rendering engines want to enter the mobile
market, those browser vendors will face a decision to either be at a
competitive disadvantage (i.e., not support WebSQLDatabse) or to
swallow their pride (i.e., implement WebSQLDatabase).  History
suggests which path they'll take.

>From the perspective of the WebKit project, however, we don't want to
make it any harder for other browser vendors to implement
WebSQLDatabase, which means keeping proprietary extensions to a
minimum.  Of course, the ideal outcome is for these mobile sites to
move away from WebSQLDatabse and to IndexedDB.

> Afaict, the "platform" does define a means of expressing exceptional
> conditions including a means of conveying a message that ideally provides
> useful information.

I'm not sure what I should read into your putting the word platform in
quotation marks.  My initial read is that you're mocking the web as a
platform for applications, but I presume you meant to communicate
something else.

> I'd like to fill in that useful information part,

I understand that.  I'm suggesting that doing so isn't the best thing
for the web platform.

> "INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11" isn't particularly useful to anyone.
> Its fair to say INVALID_STATE for many distinct low level error conditions,
> there's nothing wrong with the API. My intent in starting this thread was to
> determine the best way of providing a more detailed message.  I don't agree
> that "error messages are evil"?

No one said anything about evil.  They just create a testing,
maintenance, and interoperability burden.  Given that we'd prefer that
fewer people used WebSQLDatabase (given that the other browser vendors
have refused to implement it), the benefits of adding this
functionality seem outweighed by the costs.

> In the case of websql or indexedDB, where
> there is a complex backing store of some kind that's likely different across
> browsers, i think it is helpful to surface useful implementation specific
> details for diagnostic and debugging purposes.

Adding this feature would be a short-term benefit to some number of
people.  However, there is a long term cost that we need to consider
as well.

Adam